COVID-19 has created so much fear globally and continues to do so. We are forced to be in isolation and there is a ton of different lifestyle changes that are huge in which we need to adapt too. Coping with these changes can be difficult in all aspects spiritually, mentally, physically, and emotionally. But the feeling of loneliness is significant amongst these changes because we are meant to be with others. We naturally crave to have a sense of belonging and connection to others as it is one of our basic needs. So, it is not a surprise that so many people are struggling with the feeling of loneliness.
It is important to reflect on healthy ways to cope and improve your life throughout these tough times.
There are a few things that you could do to not only care for yourself but support others:
- Schedule meetings with family and friends by telephone or online.
- Value the time you do connect with others, stop and show appreciation for those in your life (show gratitude).
- Play games online. I played Pictionary with friends all over the province. It was fun and we shared lots of laughs.
- Take care of your physical, mental, and emotional well being.
- Talk or write about your feelings. This is opens up doors for others to share as well and can create a cohesive and supportive network.